During the week, I had the chance to speak with Josh Guame, the Senior UX Designer for Raster(above image). After my article last week on “Great Mobile Design” I decided to get his perspective on the subject.
Terrell Turner: So what do you think is important in a great mobile design?
Josh Guame: In my opinion it’s all about functionality. We already take into account that it’s going to be aesthetically pleasing and it meets the core demographic you’re shooting for, but more than anything it has to be functional. Many people think of design aesthetically, but really they should look at functionality. We don’t really create art in the traditional sense. We create functional art, so something that looks good but behind the scenes has a much larger agenda. It has to persuade the user to perform an action, whether that’s tapping something, purchasing something or sharing.
TT: How do you start a project?
JG: Fundamentals are second nature to me now. I just think of how the client expects to use this and how I expect the consumer to use it. It starts off in your head then moves from paper to the screen. I just try to get an idea of the user and how they would want to interact with the application.
TT: What do you like about mobile design and how do you go about creating it.
JG: Use your resources, I can’t stress that enough. Whether it’s your design friends or some you feel fits in the demographic for the app to get their input. So much of good design is really listening. Listening to the design, to the client, to the people in the demographic, and the info provided. I would say 90% of it is listening and the remaining 10% is translating what’s in your head to the screen. Realistically there are many people to please when it comes to design. You have to please your boss, the client, the customer, and of course you have to please yourself with your work. You might think that only the user matters, but that’s only in a perfect world. My favorite part of the design aspect is figuring it all out. It’s like a puzzle and I love to figure out how to juggle all the different perspective and desires to create that functionality. Everyone can be a part of it. The design look is more internal, but everyone can have input on functionality and how they see things working together.